Sign in to follow this  
Contract Killer

Rebuilding a Transmission

Hey guys, well I have found a 96 mustang GT that I like alot, has alot of nice parts and after markets, but I might have to rebuild the tranny, how much is this gonna run me?

PS- Don't make smart ass comments about the mustang, all I care about is the tranny.

Hmm.... 96 Mustang you say? Well the fact that it is a Ford its going to cost more, I would say a min of $900, depending on how much needs to be rebuilt. That era Mustang should have cheaper parts then the older or new models.

I myself would either find a junker of the same year and the switch trans (thats what I did with me Road Runner), or go out and buy a whole new one, which can be cheaper the rebuilding sometimes. I would suggest going to craigslist to find a junker near you, if I recall I just saw a 1995 Mustang for $200 and it ran (Washington is where I searched).

Good luck!

Guest starscream

You need to be smacked if you ever even consider buying a V6 Mustang. That goes for 6-cyl Camaros and Trans-ams as well.

Guest some fag

Depends on where you have it done. If you do it yourself, probably not as much.

My dad and I rebuilt the tranny for a 69 opel gt...old school german car, fun as hell to drive but not as much muscle as you guys are looking for. Because the car was old and foreign, we had to special order an parts, that gets expensive...so we took it to a friend who is a mechanic and here is what he suggested:

1) Make sure the problem with your transmission isn't a faulty clutch...

2) If you are planning on replacing the transmission, take the current one and open it up. You should know from driving where the problems occur...ie switching from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc...idling...Loud noises during gear shifts, etc...You can look up any problems regarding transmissions and the diagnostic is more often than not correct. You can buy replacement gears through many parts services from 60 to 120...a hell of alot cheaper than spending 2k on a new transmission. Replacing a worm out gear is a breeze so long as you have the right tools. I think it took my dad and I 3 hours to replace the 1st gear in mine...removing a tranny is a bitch...

Anyway, get some friends who enjoy cars to come help. If you wreck the transmission while toying with it, its already broken so you didn't hurt much. But yeah, if you do things right, a new transmission can cost you as little as 200 and a days work...If you decide to buy a rebuilt one or send it in to a shop it will no doubt cost you less than 1000.

I think I rambled a bit, I'm sure you know a plenty about cars already...but I hope I added a little insight. Good luck

You need to be smacked if you ever even consider buying a V6 Mustang. That goes for 6-cyl Camaros and Trans-ams as well.

ty star i was worried there for a bit that everyone was a fag for not seeing that.